What Happens if You Don't Have Gutters?
November 27, 2022
A property without gutters has become the exception rather than the rule for most American households. Rain gutters represent an effective solution to counter water damage, and their installation is within most people's budgets. The appeal of rain gutters only increases when you consider all the Rain Gutter Accessories
available to preserve the gutter and enhance its visual value. The advantages of rain gutters are known among many homeowners, but some people might be unaware of the risks of not having a guttering system, partially because much of the damage doesn't take place overnight.
Living Without Rain Gutters
There are specific instances where rain gutters are not a necessity. In some cases, the home's structure works as an advantage, with the roof boasting a steep slope or a long overhang. A house could also be located at the top of a hill, so all the rainwater would roll away on its own without needing a guttering system to give it the extra push. The most common cases, however, are in arid climates where rainstorms are not a common occurrence.
Putting aside those exceptions, rain gutters are always practical, and downright essential in areas subjected to constant storms. Even if the rainy season spans no more than a couple of months in your location, a rain guttering system is the best way to preserve your peace of mind and save you many expenses down the line.
Here are the main consequences of letting your home exposed to the rain without a guttering system in place:
- Foundation damage: No home is safe without a steady foundation. The main purpose of a rain gutter is to help preserve a building's foundations, in the long run, keeping all the rainwater far from the property and preventing the effects of moisture buildup. When there's no mechanism redirecting it away from your home, the water permeates the foundations, gradually weakening the material. Among other things, this can crack or expand the concrete, ultimately compromising the entire structure.
- Garden erosion: If you don't have a rain gutter in place, nothing stops all the rainwater from seeping deep into the soil during a storm. Rain gutters reduce the amount of water pooling around the house, preventing the soil erosion that often follows a perpetually muddy garden bed. Without rain gutters, the excess water will slowly eat the soil's natural nutrients, drowning much of the vegetation, and potentially rendering the earth infertile.
- Mold and pests: Every homeowner knows the dangers of mold or pest infestation. Pests cause a world of problems, from the deterioration of your property to diseases within your household. Moisture buildup creates the perfect conditions to spread mold and mildew, on top of attracting countless insects and rodents to your crawlers, basement, and other parts of your property that usually remain isolated. As a result, surfaces start rotting and people become vulnerable to respiratory problems, skin infections, and other diseases.
- Basement flooding: Basements are at high risk of flooding when there's no proper drainage system redirecting the water away from the property. Flooding might be caused by cracks in the foundation or the changes to the soil around it. Whatever the case, it entails extensive property damage and a lot of money lost to repairs.
- Reduced property value: With all the issues mentioned above, you can probably see how a home's overall value can be affected. Any damage affecting the property and its landscaping directly reduce its chances in the market. On the one hand, cracked sidings and rotten greenery are hardly attractive to guests and potential buyers. More concerning, there's no way to guarantee people's safety when there's already damage to the foundations. People don't want to invest in a property that will require multiple repairs (and all the extra costs attached to them) to reach its full potential.
If you don't have a rain gutter, the specialists at Miami Gutter Cleaning can always guide you through the main requirements of a durable guttering system. We have ample experience in the maintenance of residential and commercial gutters, so you can trust our knowledge to secure the best gutters for your property. You can also reach out to our contractors whenever you need help solving common gutter problems, like leaks, holes, rusting, sagging gutters, etc.
Miami Gutter Cleaning offers the most efficient cleaning and repair services to optimize the maintenance of your rain gutters. With our specialist's help, you can save time while getting thorough results so that your gutters can remain working properly for years. Don't hesitate to Contact Us
by calling (786) 676-8259
or fill out our website's form to schedule an appointment, and we'll exceed all your expectations. Stop waiting and let the specialists at Miami Gutter Cleaning surprise you!