What Happens If You Don't Clean Your Gutters?
July 12, 2022
Gutter cleaning entails the disposal of leaves, debris, and other items that get stuck inside rain gutters. The owner gets on top of a ladder and flushes out all the dirt while keeping an eye out for cracks rusty spots, etc. If this sounds familiar to you, then you should also know that a Rain Gutter Cleaning Service
is the best way to help you along.
Rain gutter installers and contractors recommend scheduling a professional cleaning service once or twice a year. Of course, this is also the ideal option if you're not familiar with DIY home maintenance. A licensed cleaning company offers the most sophisticated equipment to speed up the process and knowledgeable technicians who know what to look for.
Still, as the owner, you need to stop the dirt from collecting inside the gutter, and this is an ongoing commitment. Once you get used to it, it doesn't take long to complete a gutter cleaning session. The biggest encouragement, however, is the list of risks you'll be avoiding in the process. When you fall behind on cleaning, you will prompt damage on several parts of your property to the point that it can affect your way of life.
Here are the most common consequences of keeping a dirty gutter:
- Clogs inside the gutter: These are caused by debris, as well as organic elements like leaves, twigs, and animal droppings. If you don't inspect and clean your gutters on time, there's no way to keep tabs on the amount of dirt that makes its way inside. Eventually, the gutter will get clogs, causing other issues like spills and/or water sitting inside the gutter.
- Pest infestation: A neglected gutter is a hot spot for insects and rodents. That's because any elements left inside will get damp, creating a perfect habitat for bugs and animals to make their nests. Adding to the gutter's deterioration, the growth of mold can also rot parts of your roof and spread viruses/bacteria all over your living spaces.
- Basement flooding: A dirty gutter is your basement's worst enemy. When the gutter overflows, the water ends up pooled all around your home. If you don't put a stop to the problem, the water will eventually infiltrate the crawl space and the basement, causing floods, rotting the walls, and affecting your home's sanitary conditions.
- Property damage: We've already mentioned that a dirty gutter will eventually affect the roof and the basement. Parts of the roof like the shingles, soffit, and fascia can rot, crack, or become weaker against extreme weather changes. The same thing can happen to your attic and walls, with the painting often peeling off the sides due to moisture buildup. The most dangerous damage falls on the foundations because the water overflowing the gutter can seep into the floor, compromising the entire structure and risking collapse.
- Soil erosion: The water pooling on the ground will gradually erode the soil, affecting the trees and bushes growing around your home. This will inevitably damage the landscaping; and bringing it back to what it was can be a long, grueling process.
- Repair costs: If you let a rain gutter collect dirt for months on end, you can expect a higher price range when you schedule a cleaning service. Moreover, you may have to pay for gutter repairs. Clogs, cracks, and sagged gutters are some of the issues that usually stem from a poor cleaning routine. In other cases, homeowners choose to replace the gutter over covering multiple repairs on a guttering system that's already vulnerable in the event of an accident.
- Reduced property value: As expected, the combined damage will lower your home's value, both from an esthetic and a financial standpoint. This not only creates multiple awkward scenarios while hosting guests but also limits your opportunities if you plan on selling the house/building at some point.
Gutter cleaning is a pretty straightforward process most of the time, but things can get tricky when homeowners neglect maintenance in its entirety. If you own a rain gutter, you need to inspect it regularly, especially after intense storms to make sure its performance is still top-notch. Even for the most durable gutters, clogs are always a possibility, so you can't forego regular inspections just because there are no outward signs of obstruction.
Get the top-tier cleaning service that your rain gutters deserve. Contact Miami Gutter Cleaning and our specialists will not let you down. We provide thorough cleaning and maintenance services to spare homeowners the stress and enhance the gutter's performance in the long run. Don't hesitate to come to us with your questions and suggestions. Just call (786) 676-8259
or fill out the form at the bottom of this page to get first-hand assistance from our specialists.